Thursday, August 14, 2014

Stage Fright and Stumbling Students

Waffle ReviewsHello everyone! This post comes from a blogger friend of mine. Mario Elia is a movie buff and blogs at Waffle Reviews. Do check out his blog when you're thinking about a movie to watch! Happy Reading

Having nothing to say is a universal issue, it affects even the best of us. Whether it is in a social situation or in the middle of a job interview, we all try to avoid going blank.
Being a shy student I know these situations all too well. Like many people my age, I struggle when presenting. It is sort of a stumble/stutter and no matter how much I practice, the Earth-shattering blankness is unavoidable (yes blankness is the word). You know exactly what to say, you know your presentation like the back of your hand but your brain fails you (metaphorically of course).
Man gone blank on stage
When You See Stars
Credits: WilleeCole Photgraphy
My most embarrassing moment was when I had to perform in my school’s morning assembly. It was about technology, which I of course love. I was extremely excited about this assembly (especially because I had volunteered for it). I prepared weeks in advance, practiced it many many times till my presentation was “flawless”. But when it came to the day I still struggled to produce the words.  
Why do I bring this up? Well because I am yet to find a “cure” for this. I have tried everything yet the stupid stumble is still there. Rehearsing? Nope. Hide it with a nervous laugh? Nope – it just sounds like I am crying. Imagining everyone in their underwear? Nope – plus it’s a bit perverted. I have even tried holding a “worry” paperclip (as suggested in “Maid in Manhattan”. Nope – It just makes my hands smell of metal.
I am not going to lie; the inspiration for this post was me not having a topic to post about (thank you, blankness). This post is meant as a conversation starter. Guys (and girls), students and teachers, cats and dogs. Comment below your “cures” or even your most embarrassing blankness situation.


Hope you liked what you read. Don't forget to leave a comment and do share, like, tweet, pin etc. All the tools are underneath and at your left. Thanks :)

3 comments :

  1. I think I read an article for this, but it didn't magically fix everything, like we want things to be >.>

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you are presenting, dont look at the audience. Instead fix your gaze at the top of their heads. No eye contact. Then you wont feel nervous or the blankness. It helped me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback :)